Monsoons are finally here! Amidst the torrential rains and lovely weather it is essential to take extra care of your skin. A tad bit of added pampering becomes the need of the hour in monsoons.
Today we shall be talking about scrubbing and exfoliating and how are these important parts of your skin care regime.
Exfoliating means the process of removing old and dead skin cells of the outermost layer of our skin. And to do carry out this process we need to scrub our skins using a natural scrub or an abrasive. Gently rubbing these tiny sand like particles help scape away the dead skin cells.
Note – While scrubbing please ensure that you use an abrasive suiting your skin type. Don’t worry, we’ll discuss about various abrasives later in the article. Avoid exfoliating too close to your eyes, as the skin there is too sensitive.
Moving on, let us understand the need for exfoliation. Each day our skin has to battle pollution, sun, stress and what not. The result is lifeless skin. Exfoliating and scrubbing becomes an integral part of the skin care routine.
Advantages of exfoliating –
- Deep cleans the skin from inside
- You get soft and supple skin
- De-clogs blocked skin pores
- Helps to get rid of black heads and white heads
- Regular skin exfoliation keeps wrinkles and fine lines under control
- Speeds up your skin renewal process
Exfoliation depending upon skin types –
Your skin care regime is purely based on your skin type. The same goes for exfoliation and scrubbing as well.
- If you have dry skin type, exfoliating once a week should be enough.
- People with combination and normal skin type can exfoliate 2 – 3 times a week.
- If fall in the oily skin type category then for you exfoliation is recommended 3 – 4 times a week.
Types of scrubs and abrasives –
Abrasives and scrubs help remove the dead cells of your skin and the result is soft, glowing and vibrant skin. But like mentioned earlier, be very careful while choosing an abrasive. Keep the following points in mind –
- Choose a gentle scrub or abrasive for your face
- A body scrub is different from a face scrub
The market is full of various kinds of scrubs – sea minerals, rock salts, cocoa butter, oatmeal, berries, coffee grains… and the list is endless. Before buying a scrub ensure that it is suitable for your skin type.
How to exfoliate in 3 simple steps –
- Wet a towel in warm water and place it on your face for 1 – 2 minutes to open skin pores.
- Gently massage the scrub in circular motions for 2 minutes.
- Wash your face with cool water and pat dry.